Sunday, November 21, 2010

Stovetop Macaroni & Cheese

In the second part of my mac & cheese Alton Brown experience, I tried the stovetop version he presented.  Knowing that I already liked stovetop mac & cheese (in comparison to baked), I was eager.  Most of the same concepts presented in the baked version, such as the "secret ingredient" being an egg.  One of the other main differences was that hot sauce was added to the cheese sauce (or in my case, cayenne pepper, because apparently, the hot sauce that has been sitting on top of the refrigerator in a nice gift pack expired in 2008...)



I like this version better not only for the final taste, but also for the amount of time it takes to create.  Mix the egg, evaporated milk, hot sauce, dry mustard, salt, and pepper together; cook pasta, add butter, add egg mixture and cheese, and eat.  Quick enough for one sentence.

Two problems, though.
1)  The cheese.  I found a mild cheddar to use, but it wasn't sweet enough for my tastes.  I need to find a cheesemonger, or go to the farmers market and go samplin'.
2)  Pasta.  Not as big of a problem, simply personal preference.  I have never cared for elbow pasta, originating from the Kraft mac & cheese boxes I had as a kid.  For some reason, the elbow macaroni was never as tasty as the fun Pokemon shapes.  While reading a few food-related articles, I found that wheel-shaped pasta was excellent for mac & cheese as well.  Considering how close in concept this is to the shapes they make at Kraft, it should be true.

No comments:

Post a Comment