Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Orzo Stuffed Peppers

I don't like peppers.  They're bitter.  It's a shame, too, because they're so colorful.

But I always like to transform foods I don't like into a form I find delicious.

Stuffed peppers are a pretty basic concept; peppers in which something is stuffed.  In the recipe I used, the peppers were stuffed with canned whole tomatoes, zucchini, mint, cheese, olive oil, and garlic, along with orzo.  I tasted the mixture before I added the orzo, and it was interesting.  Good interesting.  I was hopeful.

After stuffing the peppers (I used yellow and orange, in hopes that their sweeter nature would work better with my taste buds), they cooked in the oven for an hour. 


They came out attractive enough.  If only that was enough.

Cutting into the pepper, the inner "goodness" spilled out into a lovely mess on my plate.  Jeff tried it a different way, attempting to keep the innards inside the pepper after cutting into it.  Both were relatively successful.  Unfortunately, my first bite proved my fears - everything tasted peppery and bitter.  I have to wonder, why am I surprised at this?

Not only did it taste peppery, a lot of the flavor of the stuffing was lost.  Jeff ate it happily, regardless of peppery taste.  He's a trooper like that.  (Meanwhile, I stopped eating it after about five bites.)

I still think I can use the stuffing mixture, sans pasta, with something else.  Beef, maybe.  Beef would be good.

I created a new folder in my recipe application called "Good Parts, Bad Whole."  Recipes like this one belong there, ones that have parts of good ideas in it that don't work out when completed.  We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment