Monday, December 6, 2010

Penne with Shrimp and Herbed Cream Sauce

Being another recipe from New Italian Favorites, I had high hopes for it.  I've been having a lot of luck with the dishes presented in the book, and I haven't even gone past the pasta section yet.  And, it's hard to go wrong with shrimp dishes.

The first thing to do, of course, was to cook the pasta.  Then, cook the shrimp with some garlic, and remove.  Then, I added canned tomatoes, basil, parsley, and a pinch of red pepper flakes and cooked.  After those were simmering, I added red wine, clam juice, and cream, and waited until the mixture came to a boil.  I let it simmer for about ten minutes, then added Parmesan cheese, the shrimp, and the pasta to the dish.

I've previously learned when I am cooking shrimp dishes where the shrimp will be cooked with the sauce after the initial cooking, I'll leave the shrimp partially uncooked.  That way, when they heat up in the pan again, they also finish cooking to the perfect amount, rather than being overcooked.  That's what I should have done with this.


The end result tasted good, but there was a lack of unity between the shrimp and the rest of the flavors.  The only way I can think of fixing this is to completely cook the shrimp in the sauce at the end of the cooking.  I'll give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment