Monday, July 26, 2010

A very late introduction

If I was doing things right, I would have started this blog when I started cooking. However, I started cooking more than a year ago, so we'll just have to start in the middle of things.

A few things you should know:
1. I love cooking. I read cookbooks in my free time. I bought a recipe book for my computer (which is big, considering I am reluctant to use software that isn't free). I watch the food network continuously. I watch any food related videos online, on Hulu, if possible. (Most of the time this ends up being something Chef Ramsey has done, which admittedly is not very educational, rather, entertaining. Although, I did learn a little about shucking scallops the other day.)
2. I have no intentions of ever getting paid for cooking. None. I receive my joy simply from cooking for others; I have little joy from cooking for just myself, as the title implies.


I learned the basics of cooking from my mom. How to brown ground beef, how to trim chicken, how to cook rice. Growing up, the meals she produced were always good, and empty plates were abundant. More than a year ago, due to budget restrictions from my boyfriend, he had to start purchasing his own food to cook. We started with Hamburger Helper, Rice-A-Roni, and Shake-n-Bake. But those became dull to me. I found the website www.supercook.com, where you can enter in the ingredients in your kitchen and it will find recipes that you can make with what you already have. It started out with just advanced shake-n-bake type recipes, where we would make our own breading. But as we kept gaining ingredients, stocking the kitchen with both food and supplies, our skills were fine tuned. We bought our first cookbook, and learned even more. Because of that experience (and two more cookbooks later), I'm confident enough to tackle new recipes on a weekly basis. My goal is to be able to take anything from the supermarket and know how to use it properly. It's an extreme goal that I never expect to complete, but I know I'll learn plenty while trying.

So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment