Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Oatmeal Cookies (Kind of Fail)

I normally get the urge to make cookies whenever I spend an abnormal amount of time with Elizabeth, and this time was no different.  My recipe was from Alton Brown's oatmeal episode, which featured a cookie that was more oatmeal than anything else.

The first thing that his recipe asked for was to toast the oats in the oven.  Unfortunately, I over-toasted the oats simply by following the instructions.  I figure if I had checked more often, they would have been alright.  (Can't blame AB too much on this, ovens vary from place to place, so it's more my fault for not paying attention closer.)  After the oats were toasted, half of them were placed in a food processor to create an oat flour.  

In the mixer, sugar was creamed, and an egg and vanilla extract was added. Cinnamon, baking powder, and salt was added to the oat flour, and the oat flour was added to the mixer.  After that, I spooned it out onto a pan, and baked for 12 minutes.  


The cookies tasted...interesting.  Unfortunately, because of the over-toasted oats, the cookies had a slightly burnt taste to them.  Besides for the off taste, the best word I can put to describe them was "organic".  The use of oats instead of flour (therefore making it gluten-free) gave it an interesting nutty flavor.  After a few samplings of the cookies, I began to enjoy them, but because I'm not completely sold on the flavor of the cookies I'm not planning on posting the recipe.  If you want to find it, however, it's on foodnetwork.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment